xplain the purpose(s) served by allowing law enforcement officers to conduct a search without a warrant.
Warrantless searches are important for law enforcement and criminal investigations because it makes it possible for police officer to gather evidence that might otherwise be lost or endanger the safety of others in society. Select two types of warrantless searches from the list below.
- Stop and frisk on the street
- Warrantless search of ethnic minorities within five miles of U.S. borders
- Search incident to a lawful arrest
- Automobile searches
- Sobriety checkpoints
- Searching through someone’s luggage at the airport
- Consent searches
Then, address the questions below in respect to your selections.
- Explain the purpose(s) served by allowing law enforcement officers to conduct a search without a warrant.
- Identify the purpose of each type of search, and explain whether or not each is necessary.
- Discuss what is needed, legally, to conduct each type of search. Indicate what law applies to both the investigating officer and the person being searched.
- Discuss whether or not your selections should be legal.
The paper must be two to four pages in length (excluding reference and title pages) and formatted according to APA style. You must use at least two academic resources, one of which can be found in the Ashford University Library, to support your claims and subclaims. Cite your resources in text and on the reference page. For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.