Select 3 provisions in the Bill of Rights and discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each.
The Bill of Rights protects U.S. citizens from unreasonable searches and seizures and cruel and unusual punishment while also limiting the government’s authority over our freedoms of speech, religion and much more.
Select 3 provisions in the Bill of Rights and discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each. Also, rewrite each provision as if you were in charge of amending the Constitution and explain your reasoning. For example, maybe you would change the 8th Amendment to read ‘The protection against cruel and unusual punishment, which includes the death penalty.’ And then go on to explain why you believe it should be worded that way.
Here are the Bill of Rights provisions you may choose from (pick 3):
- Freedom of religion
- Freedom of speech
- Freedom of the press
- Freedom of assembly
- The right to bear arms
- The protection against unreasonable searches and seizures
- The right to refuse to witness against one self
- The right to a speedy & public trial
- The right to trial by jury
- The protection against cruel and unusual punishment
To receive full credit, your paper must meet these requirements:
- At least 6 pages long and double-spaced
- Use Times New Roman or Calibri size 12 font
- 1 or 1.25 inch margins
- Upload/Attach the paper using a word processing program like Word (do NOT use the Text Submission option)